Monday, July 11, 2011

Who stole the Andy's Deli car?

10Wistv.com: Who stole the Andy's Deli car?

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - Just like the fountain, some say it's a Five Points landmark of sorts - A 1972 classic car that sits in front of Andy's Deli. Now, it's gone and the owner wants to know what happened to it.

It may have looked like business as usual for Andy Shlon Monday afternoon, but despite the steady crowd, something was missing. "I told my wife, 'My car is gone!'" said Shlon. "She said, 'no, you're kidding!' and I said, 'No, the car is gone.'"

The Lebanese business owner has been greeting customers at his deli since 1978. He bought two classic cars several years back, a 1940's Chrysler and a 1972 Chevy. That Chevy Caprice two-door convertible was stolen Saturday morning from right in front of Andy's home.

It may seem like a material loss, but Andy's son says he saw his dad tear up for the first time. "That car was his pride and joy," said Shlon's son, Andy. "I can remember when I was in first grade for elementary school, going to Hardee's and going in there, eating my biscuit in it, then he would drive me to school."

"I always kept it in good shape and worked hard to keep it running," said Shlon. "It will not drive for another person, it was an old car for an old man."

Andy has filed a police report, but so far, no leads. He just can't understand how someone stole it right from in front of his house.

As for who has it, Andy doesn't so much care. "I say bring my car back to me and I will thank you very much and I might reward you for bringing it back," pleaded Shlon.

If you have spotted the car, you are urged to call Columbia Police at (803) 545-3500.

No comments:

Post a Comment