Saturday, July 9, 2011

Classic Car Stolen From El Paso Body Shop

KFOX 14: Classic Car Stolen From El Paso Body Shop
EL PASO, Texas -- An El Paso man took his classic car to a body shop for repairs, but never got it back.

"It's a 1967 dark green Chevy Biscayne, 44 years old and has a lot of meaning to me. I just want my car back," said Ray Schweitz, the owner of the classic car.

In February, Schweitz took his Chevy to Angel's Auto Service to put in a new motor and begin restoring the classic car.

"Months have gone by, and now it’s July. I was informed two weeks ago that my car is gone. I asked why it took so long, and it was just one excuse after another," said Schweitz.

Shweitz reported his car stolen after Padilla told him it was missing.

Schweitz said, "They told me it was ready to go and they parked it in front of their shop. They turned around and it was gone?"

KFOX14 tried to contact the owner to ask more questions about the car's mysterious disappearance. Phone numbers called had changed and or where disconnected.

Finally KFOX14 went to the shop and found it was no longer there but relocating.

KFOX14 received a call from, Gabriel, the son of the owner and mechanic who had worked on the Chevy after taking the search to Facebook. Gabriel Padilla said, "I parked the car in front. The next couple of days I didn't see the car there so I figured he already picked it up."

KFOX14 asked if the keys to finished cars were just left in the inside and if this had every happened before. He said there never was and customers have always just picked up their cars in that manner.

Gabriel Padilla also said, “There are a couple of old cars in there, and people would stop by to window shop all the time. It was nothing out of the norm."

Despite miscommunication between the shop and owner, both said they have remained in contact.

"They've been working with me to try and get the car back and also offered restitution, which to me, it's not about the money," said Schweitz.

KFOX14 asked Padilla why they offered to reimburse Schweitz if the car was stolen. He said, “because he's a good guy and I've had a truck stolen, and I didn't get reimbursed for squat."

But Schweitz told KFOX14, "I just want my car back."

If you know anything about the stolen Chevy or have seen it, you can call the El Paso Police Departments Auto Theft Task Force at 915-298-9600.

No comments:

Post a Comment