Monday, January 2, 2012

My Ride: Cars become social hobby for Eads man

From the Memphis Appeal: My Ride: Cars become social hobby for Eads man
Eads resident Gary Gallimore is a member of the Memphis Classic Chevy Club and Corvette Memphis.

As a car enthusiast, Gallimore values the camaraderie shared with other club members.

His best advice to other car enthusiasts out there is to, "Join a car club for the invaluable help and encouragement you will receive."

What car(s) do you own: I own a 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air and 2000 Corvette convertible. My favorite car is the '57 Chevy. It's a turquoise and white two-door hardtop with the original V-8 motor, factory air conditioning, overdrive transmission, tilt wheel, power disc brakes and steering.

Does your car have a unique history: I bought the car ('57 Chevy) in 1988 after it had been completely disassembled for restoration. I had never seen the car assembled, but the owner assured me it was all there in the paper sacks and boxes I brought it home. It took about 10 years to restore the car, working in my spare time. My son, Mark, and I did all the body work and painting in the garage in my backyard.

What is the make and model of the first car you ever owned: The first car I ever owned was a 1946 Ford.

Do you compete in car shows: I have entered the '57 in several car shows and won several first-place awards.

Does your car have its original exterior/interior: My car is painted the original Tropical Turquoise, and the interior is a reproduction of the original.

What advice would you give someone thinking of buying his first classic car: My advice is to buy a car you really love. Realize you need a large space to work, lots of patience, time, and money.

No comments:

Post a Comment