Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Scores of local car fans own Chevrolets built decades ago and cared for since

From The Post and Courier: Scores of local car fans own Chevrolets built decades ago and cared for since
Chevrolet rightly chose to look forward in celebrating its 100th anniversary last month. But the carmaker also took time to focus on its loyal customers.

That’s a good thing, at least judging from greater Charleston. Local enthusiasts own Chevys dating back to pre-Depression days. They’re owned them as long as 58 years. Some were birthday presents, others bought for as little as $250. There are Chevelles, Malibus and Impalas; Corvairs and Bel Airs, and, don’t forget, Corvette.

In all these cases, the owners still possess the vehicles. They’ve tenderly restored the models and some of them are driven to this day.

Earlier this fall, The Post and Courier invited readers to tell their stories and send pictures of their classic Chevrolets in a bid to find who has held the same Chevy the longest.

To tell the truth, there’s no single winner, each writeup and photo tells a unique story. The email and penned comments from enthusiasts were edited slightly but kept as close to the original as possible.

So here they are, in order of the vehicle’s age. As it turns out that owner, Tom Jameson of West Ashley, is renowned in local circles for heading up the monthly car show at Bessinger’s Bar-B-Q. Not as well known is the story of his 83-year-old Chevrolet.

1928 Chevrolet
Owner since ’53: Tom Jameson, West Ashley.

The car was bought new and ran for 5 years and then placed in a barn for 20 years by original owner. I am 76-years-old and still have the first car I ever bought. I paid $75 in West Virginia. I drove to high school and was in many parades. My late wife, Alice, and I would go to drive-in movies and go on double dates.

In 1953, General Motors had a convention at the Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs, W.Va.; they offered me any Corvette for my car. Needless to say, I turned it down. I felt having a sports car that would go 120-plus miles per hour in the mountains of W.Va., that I probably wouldn’t live very long. After driving for two years, it was stored at my in law’s barn for 30 years. In 1985 I had the car restored from the ground up. After the restoration it was delivered to my home in Charleston.

I contacted General Motors; they researched the car and thought it was built in Atlanta, but upon further research it was built in Norwood, Ohio. They asked me to bring the car to Atlanta for the celebration of the 1 millionth car built in Atlanta. We showed the car at many local shows and won four National AACA (Antique Automobile Club of America) awards.

1953 Chevrolet 210
Owner since ’80: Joseph “Pete” Kinloch, Hanahan

I purchased this car from its original owner, 21 years ago. The price was $250 “as is.” The Chevy was running and had all of its original parts.

In need of restoration, I drove the original six-cylinder around for five years, restoring her inch by inch. Exterior looks original, but under the hood she can run with “Vetts.” Open her up and you will see a 350 (cubic inch) Chevy V-8, 400 (hp) Turbo automatic transmission, ’69 Nova rear end, dash odometer 160 mph, AC, power seats and radio/CD player with little BOOM.

All modification was done with my tender loving hands to this U.S.A. icon (what … a baby), only in America. The gorgeous paint was done by a friend.

I can drive her anywhere, so if you see me on the road honk, for America. Made in America 58 years ago and still humming.

(Kinloch signed it, ’53 Chevy Enthusiasts).

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air
Owner since ’74: Robert Newman, Mount Pleasant

I purchased the 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Convertible in 1974. I have owned and driven the car for almost 38 years. This Chevy was used as our family car for several years. Today we drive it for fun, to car shows and for weddings.

My daughter was born the year I bought it, and now her children love to ride in it.

The car was originally sold new by Wannamaker Motors, which was a Chevrolet dealer in Orangeburg. The original Wannamaker Motors license plate frame from 56 years ago is still on the car, and a picture of the license plate frame is attached. Many people from the Low Country drove to Orangeburg to purchase their Chevys at Wannamaker Motors over the years.

The car has not been restored, but it was repainted 25 years ago. We live in Mount Pleasant, and we take our Chevy to the Bessinger’s Bar-B-Q car show and the Anchors Away car show several times per year.

The Chevy has 98,000 original miles on it. I purchased the car from Mr. Fred Felder Sr., who is the founder of The Orangeburg Pecan Company. Mr. Felder was in the Battle of the Bulge during WWII, and wrote a book about his experience there. Mr. Felder now lives in a nursing home, and Fred Felder Jr. and I took Fred Felder Senior for a ride in “his” car a couple of years ago. He had not seen the car for 37 years, and it was a thrill for us all.

The car has spent a lot of its years in the Low Country with our family and at the Felders' vacation home in the early ’70s on Sullivan’s Island.

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air
Owner since ’77: Clarence Cherry, Georgetown

This 1955 Bel Air two door hardtop has been garaged since 1977. Two years ago (underwent) complete restoration. It’s beautiful yellow, off white top.

The way I got the car, I started working on the dredge in Jacksonville, (Fla.) I always wanted a ’55, that’s the year I was born. I saw (one) at a race car body shop. I (paid) $300. Work since 1978 (includes) total restoration of the chassis. (The recent restoration) finished April 25 on my birthday. In the middle of all that, got married and raised a family. This car has really meant a lot to me. Never been outside, always in a garage.

I want to take it out, “so it can be in a show;” go to drive in movie theaters in Beaufort, Monetta and Greenwood and drive up restaurants; and make “a pilgrimage to Jacksonville.”

1957 Chevrolet Corvette convertible
Owner since 1971: Rev. Donald O. Clendaniel, West Ashley

My wife bought the car for $900 and gave it to me for my birthday 40 years ago. It has a 283 cubic inch (engine), 3 speed (transmission). There are 123,000 miles on the car. Most of the chrome is original and has been triple chrome-plated. I drive the car to Bessinger’s the first Wednesday of each month for their car show.

1958 Chevrolet Corvette
Owner since 1982: Myles Glick, Charleston.

I have had my 1958 Corvette for 29 years.

1960 Chevrolet Bel Air
Owner since 1960: Glenn Horne, Hanahan

This 1960 Chevrolet two-door hardtop Bel Air was purchased Nov. 1960 (new) from Fort Sumter (Chevrolet), Charleston.

Picked up the car on Nov. 11, 1960 — also picked wife and first baby from hospital. Parked the car after driving for 13 years. I restored the Chevy about seven years ago and now show the car. It has 88,000 miles; and a 283 (cubic inch) engine.

I have all the original registration, title, cover protection and owners guide.

1964 Chevrolet Corvair
Owner since 1971: Frank Lux, Ladson

Regarding my 1964 Chevrolet Corvair … It’s a four-door Monza. They made just under 2 million of them starting in 1960 thru 1969. The cheaper model was the 500, then the 700 and finally the 900 (Monza).

I bought it with 112,000 miles on it and now have 379,000 on it. I overhauled it in 2007 (2nd time) and painted it several times over the years. It gets driven almost daily and runs great. Corvairs did get some negative publicity in earlier years and the claims were proved wrong.

MAACO of Summerville recently painted it. About 12 years ago, we found it (upside down) one Sunday morning in my front yard. A friend told me that was the new fad for bored kids. I added 4 quarts of oil, pushed the roof up enough to drive and went to work.

We Corvair owners have a club and meet on the 2nd Thursday each month at Ryan’s on Rivers Avenue.

1965 Chevrolet Impala
Owner since ’65: Frank Metzger, Summerville

This is my 1965 Impala Super Sport 327 with four-speed and factory air. I bought it new on April 4, 1965 from Black Chevrolet in Walterboro.

1966 Chevrolet Malibu
Owned since ’70: Reese Ward and father

I recently bought my 1966 Malibu Chevelle back from a neighbor after 20 years.

This nice Malibu was originally purchased by Dr. Harper in Atlanta. He moved next door to my parents on James Island around 1969. Around 1970 my father, Gerald Ward, purchased this car for him to be a daily driver. My father drove the car for many years before opening L & W Auto Sales. As I was growing up I admired the car and my father asked me if I wanted it to be “my first car.” I wasted no time in answering yes.

In 1983 the car was repainted with the original color, some upholstery was repaired, new trim parts were ordered and the engine was painted and worked on as well. I got my license and began to drive the car. Unfortunately, since my father owned a used car lot, I began to see other cars with AC, electric windows and nice stereos that caught my eye. I only drove the Chevelle for 1-2 months before moving on to a newer car. The Chevelle sat in our driveway with little use for many years.

Our neighbor, Gary Whitehead, would knock on our front door about every six months to see if we wanted to sell the car. Our answer was always the same, no not interested. Well, when I graduated Winthrop College the Chevelle was looking pretty bad. Rust, cobwebs, water on the floor board, flat tires … you get the picture. So, one day in 1991 Mr. Whitehead knocked on the door at the right time and we agreed to sell the Chevelle to him.

We have seen many other cars he had restored and we knew it was in good hands. Most importantly, he also agreed to sell the car back to my father or myself if he ever decided to sell, which he said he never would.

For 20 years, I would drive by to visit my parents and see the Chevelle being restored and finally being completed. I would stop by Mr. Whitehead’s home and look at the Chevelle, take pictures and listen to the engine just purr. I always said I wanted to be able to get the car back some day.

Well, in May 2011 the day came that Mr. Whitehead gave me a call and was ready to sell. My father passed away in 2006 and there was no way I was going to let this car slip through my hands. This car was just too sentimental to me!

I felt bad that I never really appreciated the car like I should have at first and like I do now. When I made the purchase and picked the car up on a beautiful Sunday afternoon, my wife, two children and my mother made a short trip to Holy Cross Cemetery to show my father that we finally got it back. Dad, it’s back in the family!

My 1966 Chevelle MaliBlu (my Dad used to call me Blue).
1968 Chevrolet Chevelle SS

Owner since 1968: John Stewart, James Island

May 23, 1968 (bought) 1968 Chevelle SS (from) Dick Flick Chevrolet. Sales person (was) Mickey Livingston.

Special order, 396 (cubic inch) special high performance - 375 hp. Four-speed close ratio, 3:73 post tract rear axle. Butternut yellow, black vinyl top and interior, rear antenna AM radio, tinted windows.

No power steering, power brakes or AC. All original documents (including) owners manual, buyers order, bill of sale, warranty, Protect-o plate and key knockouts.

1969 Chevrolet Impala
Owner since 1969: Wayne Howard, Hanahan

I bought my 1969 Chevrolet Impala, new, in Moncks Corner, and have owned it ever since. It still looks pretty good and runs well, including the air conditioner and has only a little over 200,000 miles on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment